I'm in love with our new little man! Despite my best guess (and the doctor's), baby Owen was born on February 20th weighing a measly 8 lbs, 4 oz. Compared to big brother who weighed 10lbs, 7 oz at birth, he is a little peanut...an adorable one! :) I am a proud mama!
My c-section was scheduled for 7:30am at Scripps Hospital in LaJolla. That meant getting to the hospital at 5:30, leaving the house by 4:15, and waking up at 3:15. My doctor assured me this would be a "good" thing because I wasn't allowed to eat before my surgery. Hogwash...I was still hungry. I digress... This is us looking bright eyed walking into the hospital. We were full of excitement and very anxious. My first c-section had gone so smoothly. This time around, I had nine months to read how scary c-sections could be....I was a mess the few days before, but I had finally gotten most of my nerves under control.
We were checked into the hospital, I was hooked up to all the machines, and we had visitors arrive shortly. Nana and Papa Whalen had come into town the day before from AZ, Nana and Papa Gaebel drove down that morning, and Aunt Lissy and Ashleigh brought big brother Colin down as well. It was a full house and my nurse was awesome in letting everyone hang out. Having a scheduled c-section is definitely a different experience than other birthing options.
The last picture of my big belly.
In what felt like two minutes rather than two hours, I was prepped and ready for my surgery. Nerves and anxiety started to kick in, but I smiled for the cameras and felt silly and embarrassed as we were wheeled down the hallway and everyone took our picture.
While I initially felt short of breath during the surgery, the anesthesiologist must have adjusted my meds because after a few minutes, I felt so much better and ready to meet Baby! With the sheet separating me from the action (which is mainly a good thing because I am so squeamish) and being completely numb, it's impossible to know what's going on. I received a play-by-play from the anesthesiologist, but I remember just wanted the doctors to hurry up already. I needed to know that my baby was alright! Even after they held him up and I heard him crying, still kept wondering if he was ok. Kevin assured me that he was perfect, but I didn't feel like I truly relaxed until they handed him to me and I could see, hold, and breath him for myself. He really was perfect!
After a few minutes, Kevin and Owen left to go to the well baby nursery. Unfortunately, I was still stuck in the operating room. :( Empowered with the knowledge that Owen was healthy and well, I felt much calmer the second half of my surgery. The anesthesiologist started talking about his residency program at UCLA and how he was there when Richard Greer was admitted for the "gerbil incident." Although he didn't know if it was true or not, it made for a funny few minutes of conversation. We covered it all...What? Where? How? And most importantly WHY the heck????
Meanwhile in the hall, our family was able to meet Owen for the first time. We had a similar picture taken with everyone when Colin was born, and I love it!!! I am so thankful that our family was there to celebrate with us!
Owen was weighed and checked out and we met back up in the labor and delivery room room. I stayed in that room for an hour or so before being wheeled upstairs to recovery.

I was lucky enough to be assigned the same room again as I was when Colin was born. The private room was huge with two large windows that allowed tons of sunlight and plenty of room for Kevin's bed. That was our home for the next three nights. After I got settled, Colin came up to meet Owen for the first time. I don't think he really understood what was going on, but he was a trooper in the waiting room that day with his Aunties and had a fun few days hanging out with Papa & Nana Gaebel. We are SO thankful for their help!
Although I was nauseous (and sick) post-surgery, my recovery and Owen's time at the hospital was easy and uneventful. I was up and moving later that evening and felt ready to be home by day two. We stayed the three nights to ensure everyone and everything was perfect, but it really wasn't necessary. Kevin and I were both a bit more calm this time around, and Kevin even slept some! (Unlike last time where we slept in shifts so one of us was always awake to make sure Colin was always breathing!) That last morning, I was up and and quick to tell everyone to we were anxious to go home, so please get our discharge paperwork completed. I wanted to go home and see my other baby and settle in as a family of four! (Typing that still makes me smile!)
These last few weeks have been really fun! Kevin was off for two and a half weeks (Owen's "birth"day was timed perfectly with his winter break-- C-sections really are nice!) and that really helped with our adjustment and Colin's. So far Owen is a relatively mellow little guy and loves to be held and snuggled. I am so thankful for him...at times I feel overwhelmed by how much I already love him! He feels like a perfect fit; I can't imagine our family without him! My heart is very, very happy!



Congratulations Allison and family!!! Thank you for sharing your story! So amazing! Love, love, love your adorable family.
ReplyDelete