Four years ago, on St. Patrick's Day, Kevin and I met at our local Irish pub, Killarney's. It is a now a tradition to call in "sick" and go enjoy lunch or dinner and a few pints at our favorite Irish pub. (Note: while it looks like I'm enjoying the glass of Guinness in the picture, it really does belong to Kevin. Although Colin did enjoy his first little sip!) We love Killarney's and are so thankful for each other and that fateful night four years ago when we met. Below is the story, as told by Kevin, of the night we met. He posted this on our wedding website.
Call it fate, destiny or just plain dumb luck, but there were several things that happened just the right way on March 17, 2006 that allowed me to meet Allie that night. I almost didn’t go to Temecula that night. I was going to go out with my friends James and April in Hemet but something made me turn them down. I almost didn’t go to Killarney’s. The wait was over an hour just to get in but something made me brave the line and rain to wait in line. Once inside, my friends and I set up camp under one of the outdoor tents that they had set up special for the night. I had forgotten to go to the ATM earlier in the evening so when it came time for me to buy the next round of drinks, I had to use my card. The only place that was taking plastic was inside, where it was the most crowded and hectic. I braved the insanity; hip checked my way through the crowd, threw a couple of elbows and got my way up to the bar. As I was ordering, I noticed a lively bunch of young, beautiful ladies to my left. They looked like they were having a great time and I was immediately intrigued. I retrieved my drinks and my credit card and started to head back outside. As I passed the intriguing group of ladies, my eyes caught theirs and I smiled, nodded and said, “Ladies.” Yep that’s what I said. I blame it on the Guinness, others can blame it one my great capacity for lameness. When I got back outside to my friends and the cold and the rain, I quickly decided that inside next to those girls is where I needed to be. My friend Shawn and I made our way back inside and found a small piece of bar around where the girls were standing. Now, at this point of the story I wish I could say that this was when I went striding up to Allie and made my move with great flash and smoothness. Not so much. What I ended up doing was standing next to them without saying a word like a big dork. But they always say be yourself, so that’s what I did! But I did keep glancing over at them. There was one girl that immediately caught my eye. Allie was wearing jeans a green sweater. She was tall, blonde and beautiful. I was captivated. After awhile I could feel that we were standing closer together. That was when Allie turned to me and made fun of a guy wearing sunglasses in the bar. That was all it took. We struck up a conversation from there. Everything was going so well…until she introduced me to her friends and they asked me what I did for a living. Up until this night, when I was out with Shawn and girls asked us what we did for a living, Shawn would respond, “Electrician.” The girls would nod and smile and say “Cool or great!” Then I would say “Teacher” and they would generally look at me and go “oh.” So when Allie and her friends asked me what I did and I said “Teacher” I was prepared for the worst. When they enthusiastically responded, “Us too” I knew things were looking up for Kevin. Allie and I continued to talk for the rest of the night. Conversation with a new person had never come so easily. She was so interesting, intelligent and lovely. Her stories of her family, college, traveling the world and moving to Temecula were fascinating and intoxicating. I didn’t want to stop talking to her or let her get away. So when the girls suggested that we go dancing at Pechanga, something that I just don’t do, I couldn’t help but say yes. We had to meet at a bar in Pechanga and I was terrified that she was going to blow me off or not find me but when she showed up there I was excited and relieved. Yes, I did dance. And I didn’t care because I was dancing with her. We laughed and sang along to all the words of the songs. Her friend Jenny had invited me to a party at her house the next night and I accepted without hesitation. The only thing left to do was to secure Allie’s phone number. Only my cell phone was completely dead. Allie took my number and said that she would call me. I was petrified the entire next day that she wouldn’t call me but when my phone rang the next afternoon, I was elated. We met up and went to the party that night. So many things could have gone wrong and prevented us from meeting but they didn’t and the rest is, as they say, history.
No comments:
Post a Comment