Monday, July 26, 2010

Our Proud Puppy


Tahoe was a proud puppy. She was the alpha dog, leader of the pack, and head of the household. While she was always there to make sure everything was okay, she was also independent and didn't mind spending the afternoon by herself in a cool part of the house or sunbathing in the backyard. She was my first baby. She was fiercely loyal. Anyone who came to our door would tell you she was an excellent guard dog. She always made me feel safe. No one in their right mind would break into our home. But once she knew you, she was incredibly loving. She would rest her head on your lap and look up at you with those big brown eyes pleading for a head scratch or a belly rub. She would lay at your feet...always there if you needed her. Tahoe was also extremely smart. She breezed through doggie school learning all the tricks and commands. We only had to say, "park it!" and she would leave the kitchen, our laps, or wherever, and find a place to lay down by herself. She knew where she lived and knew she'd be crazy to leave. If we ever left the gate or garage open, we'd come home to find her laying on the driveway or most likely still hanging out in the backyard. She was a great listener. We have a nature preserve area near our house where we'd take her for walks and let her run off leash. She would explore, chase rabbits, and run through the brush, but she'd always come back when we called her. She loved being outside and taking walks.

Last week, Tahoe went to doggie heaven where I imagine she is chasing rabbits and bringing smiles to those around her. It was extremely hard to let go and say good-bye. She is so incredibly missed! Right now, the void in our home feels so tangible. There is nothing like the unconditional love of a pet, and Tahoe was the best kind of pet. She was a member of our family!

1 comment:

  1. I am soooo sorry. There are no words. I couldnt even get through that without crying. She was an AMAZING friend to have and I am so glad that I had the chance to know her like I did. I 'm also glad I got to see her one last time. Al- I know how much you loved her and I am so sorry for your loss.

    ReplyDelete