Kevin and I decided to go down to UCSD on Tuesday, May 18th and have an ultrasound done just to be on the safe side....And we are so glad we did! My fluid levels are now double what they are supposed to be and Colin was measuring 9lbs, 4 oz. WOW! The perintologist believed I had developed late-term gestational diabetes. My glucose test the next day, confirmed this. With my new diagnosis and my high "walking" blood pressure (it's prefect when I lay down), I have now been to the hospital for blood tests and non-stress tests four different times in the past week and a half. I was told there was very little I could do for the gestational diabetes at this point, but I should cut out all sugars and cut way down on my carbs...a lot easier said than done.
During this whole ordeal, my doctor was actually out of town. I was able to talk to him on his cell and his associate took good care of me. Regardless, we were very anxious for my appointment this last Monday, May 24th to find out what was going to happen next. We were told that babies with gestational diabetes tend to have slower lung development, so it is important they are not delivered too early. On the other hand, they also have a higher rate of still birth, which is very scary! There's also the issue of his size to consider. Keeping all this in mind, my doctor recommended I deliver Colin via c-section this Friday, May 28. He's afraid that Colin is at a high risk for shoulder dystocia--he's too big to slide easily through the pelvis, which could result in a broken shoulder, collar bone, nerve damage, etc. While a c-section isn't ideal, Kevin and I just want him to be here and be healthy, so whatever that entails, I am ok with.
So, to sum it all up, it looks like Colin's birthday will be May 28th!!! We're so excited!!!
No comments:
Post a Comment