Monday, May 17, 2010

Thirty-eight weeks

Today is my first day of maternity leave...Yippee! It was important to me to finish state testing with my students and I did that last Wednesday. I have no idea when Colin is going to come, but based on my original due date (June 5) I am thirty-seven and a half weeks pregnant. Based on my new due date (May 28), I am thirty-eight and a half weeks pregnant. So if I split the difference, I think it's fair to say that I am now thirty-eight weeks pregnant....So really Colin could be here any day now. Or it could still be weeks...

My doctor originally told me I didn't like his patients going over their due dates, so if I got close, he would induce me. I've wanted to ask him more about this for weeks now (like which due date are we going off of here doc), but when I went to my appointment at the end of April, he said it was too soon to discuss. And at my last appointment on May 10, my blood pressure was elevated and he quickly sent me off to the hospital for more tests. I was confident everything was fine, but I know how scary pre-eclampsia can be after being a witness to the birth of my nephew, Carter. Luckily, I am showing no signs of pre-eclampsia at this time and my blood pressure came back down at the hospital. My next doctor's appointment is on Wednesday, but it will be with his associate because my doctor is be out of town until May 24. Hence, it will be a while yet before there is any talk of a "plan." I know this is normal for most pregnancies, but I actually appreciated the fact that he wouldn't let me go over my due date and there would be a definite end date. I am a planner, and my mind liked his organizational style. However, looks like I'm going to have to do things the old fashioned way...sit tight and wait! And yes, I know this is what's best for Colin. :)

Here is the description of what Colin's up to at 37 weeks: Your baby is now considered "full term," even though your due date is three weeks away. If you go into labor now, his lungs will likely be mature enough to fully adjust to life outside the womb. (Some babies need a bit more time, though.) Your baby weighs 6 1/3 pounds and measures a bit over 19 inches, head to heel (like a stalk of Swiss chard).
And at 38 weeks: Your baby has really plumped up. He weighs about 6.8 pounds and he's over 19 1/2 inches long (like a leek). He has a firm grasp, which you'll soon be able to test when you hold her hand for the first time! His organs have matured and are ready for life outside the womb.

No comments:

Post a Comment